[ic] email address as username regexp validation

Dennis Chen interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Mar 14 17:28:01 2003

> But that regexp needs to match invalid email addresses.  I've
> been unable to find a
> regexp online that already does the validation that way;
> usually they test for valid
> email addresses.  In the interest of saving time in creating
> a new regexp, I was hoping
> someone on this list already created this regexp and could
> post it here.  Alternately, is
> there another way I should be doing this validation?  I
> really appreaciate your help
> here.

Some people suggest not to use javascript, but I use this javascript below.
Just add it in your form onsubmit.

<script Language="JavaScript">
function isEmailAddr(email)
{
  var result = false
  var theStr = new String(email)
  var index = theStr.indexOf("@");
  if (index > 0)
  {
    var pindex = theStr.indexOf(".",index);
    if ((pindex > index+1) && (theStr.length > pindex+1))
        result = true;
  }
  return result;
}

function FormValidator(theForm)
{
  if (!isEmailAddr(theForm.mv_username.value))
  {
    alert("Please enter a complete email address in the form:
yourname@yourdomain.com");
    theForm.mv_username.focus();
    return (false);
  }

  if (theForm.mv_username.value.length < 3)
  {
    alert("Please enter at least 3 characters in the \"email\" field.");
    theForm.mv_username.focus();
    return (false);
  }
  return (true);