[ic] Item Option - Weights not adding at checkout or in cart!

Wed Mar 26 21:04:01 2003

Quoting Chuck Adams (cadams@advinadv.com):
> I am using IC 4.9.3 on a Red Hat 7.2 server with a site originally created
> in 4.8.7 and upgraded to 4.9
>
> I have a cart built using simple options and have edited the options weights
> and prices to be "non-zero" for every option.
>
> For example:
>
> Weights -> PM06=35.0, PM12=35.0, PE06=35.0, PE12=35.0
> Prices -> PM06=360.00, PM12=395.00, PE06=525.00, PE12=550.00
>
> When selection PM06 is chosen it should add 360.00 to the price (it does)
> and 35.0 to the weight (it does not)
>
> The item options show up in drop down boxes on the cart and checkout pages,
> and the as mentioned above, "configured" item's cost increases as options &
> features are selected, but the configured item's weight in not increased
> accordingly. I've read the mail-list, this forum and
> http://www.interchange.rtfm.info/ till I'm blue... but to no avail.
>
> Option weights seem to be a persistent problem for several folks.
>
> Question #1: Can adding option weights be made to work for "simple"
> options? If so, do you have a code example?
>
> Question #2: If not, can Perl be inserted in the page to calculate the
> option weight - if so are there code examples?

I don't know where you got the idea that weight could be added for
options. There is nothing I know of that should have given you that
impression.

As for code, I know of none. It is certainly possible to write, though.
You would want to use one of the examples of custom shipping applications.

> Question #3: If not, should I consider moving to modular options? Will
> weights work there? Do you have code examples?

Modular options don't work for any version of IC.

It all depends on what you want to *do* with the weight. Assuming
that you want to be calculating shipping with it, you should look
at custom shipping routines and expect to do (or hire) some custom
code for it.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman