[ic] bandwidth requirements/server sizing

Dan Browning interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue May 6 14:06:00 2003

At 06:21 PM 5/6/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Thanks Dan, the hardware sizing information is very useful.
>
>For the bandwidth I was looking for some ball park figures based on a
>'typical' catalog (if that's possible).  Alternatively, what is the best way
>of measuring or calculating the bandwidth utilization for my catalog?
>(Assume I know nothing about bandwidth measuring/calculating).
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Chris

<interchange-users guidelines>

-- Contextual quoting is preferred, i.e.

                Quoting user1 (<user1@somedomain.com>):
                > Some limited text that will give context.

                Your reply.

    versus

                Your reply, lazily put at the top.

                Quoting user1 (<user1@somedomain.com>):
                > The whole big blob of the previous posts, including
                > signatures and all

        Many of the list readers stop following a thread the moment
        this lazy quoting method is used.  They figure that if you
        can't take half a minute of your time to save multiple
        minutes of the readers' time, you don't deserve replies.

</interchange-users guidelines>

That said, you can easily calculate "worst case scenario" bandwidth utilization.  However, calculating "accurate scenario" utilization is hard.  Start with the size of your largest HTML page, and most amount of graphics.  Add that together and multiply by requests per day for your worst case scenario daily bandwidth.  Then, multiply by the percentage of your content will likely be cached (how many times will users revisit a page with the same graphics?  Same HTML?  Same JavaScript, if you use lots of that?).  Then multiply by a factor of how different your pages and graphics are on each page.  Then multiply by a factor of what percentage of visitors will have certain content cached (a large portion of AOL visitors might get a lot of the images cached).  Etc. etc., ad nausium.

It entirely depends on how the catalog is designed, so I fail to see how anyone else can assist you in estimating it.

--
Dan Browning, Kavod Technologies, <db@kavod.com> 360.843.4074x217
6700 NE 162nd Ave, Ste 611-210, Vancouver, WA.      Random quote: