[ic] Help w/upgrades & Updates loosing settings & functionality...

Jack Sasportas interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue May 20 18:19:00 2003

I have been having a hell of a time when updating IC to newer versions
from older versions.
I was running a fully functional IC that lets say was about 30 days old.
 I then updated (cvs) and installed the latest and greatest.
Once that is done, and I restart IC, my carts loose their pages, admin
doesn't work and I end up having to reinstall it, which is a big pain.

Now I want to see if I can become better informed in order not to drive
myself nuts with doing things 20 times during updates etc, so
please help me out with some of the following questions:

1. Because the dir is there, if I don't let it overwrite the files the setup stalls right? no config is written etc?

/home/name.com/www/catalog: directory exists!
The above directories already exist. Overwrite files? n

So you have to loose everything in order to get the new ver?

2. if I make changes to results.html to show pictures of the items etc, that gets lost because it changes with each new version of IC, and I can't take a chance that a new variable exists within that html to simply copy the previous older version over the new one.  Is there a way to better manage these changes so I don't have to keep redoing the work?

3. Catalog Name - when creating a catalog name for different domains, do I have a restriction that only allows me to use a specific name only one time on that server ?  example abc.com/catalog   123.com/catalog, would those catalog names conflict?

4. Backup suggestions - I do have backups of everything ( linux style ) but is there a way to keep all the settings, options etc and backup IC catalogs individually in order to have clean restores even to lets say another server ?

Thanks!

Jack