[ic] options table mysql

Interchange User interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu May 29 08:19:00 2003

>> On Wednesday 28 May 2003 04:52 am, Kerry Blalock wrote:
>>> I setup options on about a 100 sku. ver 4.8.5 I needed to correct a
>>> word in severa of these items, so I downloaded the options.txt file
>>> into openoffice and made the corrections. I then imported this file
>>> back to mysql, and lost all but the first color name in the options
>>> setup. However, the combinations still exist in most and show in the
>>> cart.
>>>
>>> Question: Is the above procedure the correct method to make shuch
>>> corrections?
>>> When viewing the spreadsheet, I notice that all but the first color
>>> is
>>> sitting in the first column instead of the o_value column. Other
>>> pieces of information also seem to be offline.
>>>
>>> I have read the options table doc, and searched my ic mail and cannot
>>> find information on this problem.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to get the information back without editing each sku?
>> Check your formatting, since you used OpenOffice, you probably lost
>> your
>> tab  spacing. I often use emacs, or nedit to do the editing. If you do
>> not want to  do it manually, I would use perl..
> Used tab, removing the " in bottom box. Same as I did with porducts.txt
> which imported ok. Unfortunately, I'm not a programer, so doing it with
> perl would get me in more hot water than manual.
> I guess I just do not understand how the information is being stored in
> the spreadsheet. With the products.txt file, each record is on single
> line, while in the options.txt, it seems to generate additional rows
> for
> the added option.

It sounds like your spreadsheet program interpreted some character
within the tabs to be a linefeed or newline.  I've had problems with
Excel doing this, particularly if I moved a file between Windows and
Unix machines.  I would take a look at the file in a text editor that
can show invisible characters like tabs, newlines, carriage returns,
etc., which may reveal the cause of the problem.  For exporting and
making changes, I often use a good text editor or a desktop database
like FileMaker, which usually are nicer to tab-delimited files than
Excel (and maybe OpenOffice).

Peter