[ic] OT: Alternatives to Red Hat-> more questions

Rene Hertell interchange-users at hertell.com
Wed Nov 5 19:51:03 EST 2003

> Thanks for piping in with your opinions. I had also asked this
> question of
> a trusted source whom is not on this list, and based on their
> response, as
> well as those made here, Debian and Slackware seem to have percolated to
> the top of the candidates list; FreeBSD is also a close
> contender, but with
> the caveats which Mike pointed out above.
>
> I have the latest Debian stable release in my possession, and a suitable
> test box - that's where I'll start. Any useful learning
> experiences as the
> pertain to interchange and related services will be posted to this list,
> hopefully to the benefit of others.

I'm just in the middle of installing my own server that my ISP will host. I
installed RedHut9, compiled Perl etc. and I have everything running nice.
But yesterday I spent a while chatting with people on the #fedora channel
(don't remember which irc-server), and after some thinking and evaluating
peoples opinions, I came to the conclusion that I will try to install the
Debian stable, and kick away RedHut because of the fact that they drop the
support next spring...

I have never checked out Slackware, so I have no clue the advantages and
disadvantages of this distro. What I have heard about Debian is only good
stuff. One thing is still unclear. How long can I expect to get
security-updates to Debian if I install stable now? What about when they
release a new version? Will the older version be supported with
security-updates, or do I have to upgrade?

Rene