[ic] Formatting Zip for UK - Change to Upper Case and Add aSpace??

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Thu Nov 6 20:13:55 EST 2003

Lyn St George [lyn at zolotek.net] wrote:
> > Yes, this could be done using Perl.  I believe the following to be
> > an accurate summary of the UK post code validation rules, so should
> > help to get you started:
> >
> >  1. The total length must be 5, 6 or 7 characters, excluding the space.
> >
> >  2. A single space must be included in the post code.
> >
> >  2. The inward code, the part to the right of the space, must always
> >     be 3 characters.
> >
> >  3. The first character of the inward code must be numeric.
> >
> >  4. The second and third characters of the inward code must be alpha.
>
> Usually, but not always true, eg WC1 or EC3 in London.

That's the "outward" code.  It's a bit confusing, I know.  Perhaps
the following will help:

    WC1 1AB
     |   |
     |   +-- inward code

     +------ outward code

The "outward" code is used to send the package from the sender to
the receiver's sorting office.  The "inward" code is then used to
send the package to the correct street, within that sorting area.
The building number, or name, is then used in the actual delivery.

Some locations get so much mail that they have a dedicated post code.
The BBC's Broadcasting House in London (W1A 1AA) is one example.

So, RH9, WC1, W1A, EC1A etc. are all valid "outward" codes because
they obey the following rules:

>  5. The outward code, the part to the left of the space, can be 2,
>     3 or 4 characters.
>
>  6. The first character of the outward code must be alpha.

It should be noted that there's a difference between a "correctly
presented" postcode and one that's actually in use as a delivery
location. :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz