[ic] Vertical Category List Question

Ed LaFrance edl at newmediaems.com
Thu Nov 13 10:50:18 EST 2003

At 11:44 AM 11/13/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> > >[snipped my introduction]
> > >[snipped repost of code]
> >
> > Dear Michael -
> >

> > I had left out one other change that was needed to the bar_link
>subroutine.
> > I posted that correction this morning. That and creating the new link
>class
> > is all that needs to be done (I have assumed from the beginning that you
> > have control of the IC server daemon, because an Interchange restart is
> > needed to activate the changes).
> >
> > It looks like you attempted to combine my suggestions with those of
>someone
> > else, so I don't know how this will all play together. But with my
> > solution, no modifications to the category_vertical component were needed.
> >
> > - Ed L.
>
>Dear Ed,
>Thank you for posting the needed modification to the bar_link subroutine.  I
>had just finished making that modification as I received this latest message
>from you.
>
>I do have control of the IC server daemon.  I made the new modification to
>the catalog_before.cfg, checked my CSS, restarted IC, and looked at the
>menu.  Nothing was affected by the change to the catalog_before.cfg.  I
>tinkered with the "link pseudo class" as follows [Making changes here
>simultaneously affects both new classes :  .grouplink (area) and .barlink
>(cat)] :
>
>A.barlink:link, A.barlink:active, A.barlink:visited {
>   color: __CATEGORYBAR_LINK__;
>   font-family: __CATEGORYBAR_FONT__;
>   font-weight: __GROUPLINK_WEIGHT__;
>   text-decoration: __CATEGORYBAR_LINKDECO__;
>   font-size: __GROUPLINK_FONTSIZE__;
>
>When I change any of the variables in the above class, it affects both the
>"area" and "cat" portion of the menu.
>
>Changing the above "link pseudo class" to try to isolate it for just the
>.grouplink (area):
>A.grouplink:link, A.grouplink:active, A.grouplink:visited {
>   color: __CATEGORYBAR_LINK__;
>   font-family: __CATEGORYBAR_FONT__;
>   font-weight: __GROUPLINK_WEIGHT__;
>   text-decoration: __CATEGORYBAR_LINKDECO__;
>   font-size: __GROUPLINK_FONTSIZE__;
>
>Resulted in no change at all.
>
>Removing the list class suggested by Ryan:
>
>  .vertcatlist {
>  list-style-image: url(/~filters/cart/images/items/bullet4.gif);
>}
>
>Made no difference in the new modifications to catalog_before.cfg.
>
> >From the vertical category list component (I realize you said this needs no
>modification after configuring the catalog_before.cfg, but it seems making
>the below modifications didn't change anything anyway):
>1)
>bearing on anything.  If, within the CSS,  I change the variables to reflect
>new font sizes or weights:
>TD {
>   font-family: __MAINCONTENT_FONT__;
>   font-size: __MAINCONTENT_FONTSIZE__;
>}

> [...]

Michael -

There may have been a misunderstanding on your part - you need two
completely separate class definitions for links, such as:

A.barlink:link, A.barlink:active, A.barlink:visited {
   color: yellow;
   font-family: sans-serif;
   font-weight: normal;
   text-decoration: none;
   font-size: 10pt;
}

A.grouplink:link, A.grouplink:active, A.grouplink:visited {
   color: white;
   font-family: sans-serif;
   font-weight: bold;
   text-decoration: underline;
   font-size: 12pt;
}

(you could also use catalog variables for the value of each CSS property,
but it may be just as easy to hard-code them like above).

... then my changes to the bar_link routine just chose one class or the
other based on whether bar_link is passed the area or cat table name,
according to which code in category_vertical is being executed. Please note
that I have not tested any of this, and perhaps it will not work...

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax