[ic] Problems generating PDF:s on the fly with HTML::HTMLDoc

Rene Hertell interchange-users at hertell.com
Thu Nov 27 10:54:31 EST 2003

Hi all,

I have been trying to create an usertag that would return a PDF on-the-fly (by using HTMLDoc and the HTML::HTMLDoc CPAN module). My problem is that I can't get this script to work within IC. It works perfectly when I run it from a separate Perl-script, but running it as an usertag creates only an empty file (0 bytes) or returns nothing.

The perldoc for HTML::HTMLDoc explains that there are problems when using the module in a "mod_perl-environment" because of some troubles that the IPC::Open3 module has with returning standard-output. This problem can be solved so that it wont use IPC::Open3, but that did not help (it creates that empty file).

What does a "mod_perl-environment" mean? I assume that IC is running in this mode, but is it possible to by-pass this?

I'm also curious if anyone is using this combination of these modules (or maybe something else) to produce PDF-files on-the-fly.

Best Regards,

Rene