[ic] HTML in XML

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Fri Sep 26 23:46:43 EDT 2003

Grant [listbox at email.com] wrote:

> > > When I set up my Description XML tag it looks like this:
> > >
> > > <Description><![CDATA[[scratch description]]]></Description>
> > >
> > > and eBay gets [scratch description] as the description.  This is all
> > > happening on a test page, and all kinds of other stuff is parsing jus
> > > fine. Does anyone have any bright ideas that will allow passing HTML
> > > in an XML request like this as well as allow IC tags to be included
> > > for parsing?
> > >
> > Your question has nothing to do with passing HTML in an XML request;
> > It has to do with the interpolation of Interchange tags.  The method
> > you're using is clearly not set up to perform this interpolation, so
> > the Interchange tags are being passed intact.
> >
> You're right, but what threw me was the fact that all kinds of other IC
> tags are being parsed on the same line as the one that didn't parse.
> Looking at it now, it must have something to do with all the brackets
> involved?

I put the following on a test page and ran it:

    [tmpn description]This is a test[/tmpn]
    [CDATA[[scratch description]]]

That produced the effect you reported (no [scratch] interpolation).

The reason for this effect is that "CDATA[[scratch" is being
interpreted, by the Interchange parser, as a tag and "description]]"
is its argument.  As the CDATA[[scratch tag doesn't exist, it is
output intact.

Perhaps you can use something like this instead:

    [calcn]'[CDATA[' . $Scratch->{description} . ']]'[/calcn]

Or create a [xml-cdata] UserTag so that this:

    <Description><![xml-cdata][scratch description][/xml-cdata]></Description>

is converted into this:

    <Description><![CDATA[This is a test]]></Description>

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz