[ic] mod_interchange and socket permissions

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Sat Sep 27 16:55:15 EDT 2003

Kaare Rasmussen [kar at kakidata.dk] wrote:

> > Kaare, search for the directive SocketPerms
> >
> I"ve already looked at this setting. Sorry I forgot to tell about it.
>

> > Temporarily set permissions at restart:
> > interchange -r SocketPerms=666
> >
> This is more unsecure than should be necessary. I'd like it to be only the
> specific user and group that are allowed access to the socket.

You could add the Apache user into Interchange's group (/etc/group)
and set the following in your Interchange.cfg file:

    SocketPerms 0660

What's wrong with 0666 anyway?  I consider that to be more secure
than allowing the Apache user to monkey around in Interchange's group.

You could consider switching to INET-mode, which doesn't rely upon
file permissions at all.  For local users, I don't see the difference
(security-wise) between INET-mode and UNIX-mode with SocketPerms=0666.

If anyone reports an actual, potential or even theoretical security
exploit, in any part of the Interchange core, then it will be looked
into.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz