[ic] Trouble with coordinated search to test for inactive

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Apr 7 15:19:41 EDT 2004

Quoting Ron Phipps (rphipps at reliant-solutions.com):
> I read your thread and many others last night and was just being
> stubborn figuring there has to be a way :)  I just wrote a query page in
> 10x less the time I experimented with the built in search.  Take it
> easy!

You didn't mention if you tried my:

    co=1
    sf=import_inactive
    se=0
    op=eq
    sf=user_inactive
    se=0
    op=eq
    sf=:long_description,short_description,title
    se=test

It is easy to write a custom search that works in one instance,
but you will rewrite it every time in the future unless you
standardize somewhere.

Also, since IC now supports the Text::Query module, if that is
installed you get the standard search mechanisms:

	test NEAR foo
	test NOT foo
	"exact phrase" AND qualifier

In addition, when you write custom stuff based on SQL it may operate
differently on different databases -- Postgres is case-sensitive, MySQL
is not, for example. Also you likely you have done very little checking
on boundary conditions.

There is nothing wrong with custom searches. It is just important
to know the downsides and counterpoints.

--
Mike Heins

How far can you open your mind before your brains fall out?