[ic] mod_interchange

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon Apr 12 10:47:05 EDT 2004

Ron Phipps [rphipps at reliant-solutions.com] wrote:

> > > Could you provide an example of the <location> settings and
> > > interchange.cfg settings for an IC server running two catalog, both
> > > served from "/" on different domains?
> > >
> > Both would use <Location /> in their respective <VirtualHost> block in
> > the Apache configuration.
> >
> > The interchange.cfg file would be set up something like this:
> >
> >     Catalog  site1  /path/to/site1  www.foo.com/  www.foo.com:443/
> >     Catalog  site2  /path/to/site2  www.bar.com/  www.bar.com:443/
> >
> >     FullURL  Yes
> >
> > The catalog.cfg would then be set up to make sure that any generated
> > URIs use "/" as the path.
> >
> > That should be all you need.
> >
> Excellent, thanks for the examples.  Do you need to set
> InterchangeScript for either location?

No, you don't have to.  You would use InterchangeScript if you wanted
to avoid having to use FullURL in the interchange.cfg, or if you
needed to map a new URI path onto an existing Catalog directive for
some reason.

For instance, the above example uses <Location /> so the Catalog path
must be "/", as shown.  If you used <Location /foo> then the Catalog
path would have to be "/foo".  Lastly, if you used <Location /foo> in
combination with "InterchangeScript /bar" then the Catalog path would
have to be "/bar".

Simply put, mod_interchange's InterchangeScript configuration directive
overrides the <Location> path when determining what path to pass to
Interchange.

The next thing on the mod_interchange wishlist is a buffering facility.
This would allow large files to be handed off from Interchange, and
trickled down to the client at a slower speed by Apache, thus freeing
Interchange to serve other requests.  The facility could be more secure
than the existing "soft product" download techniques that involve
temporary symlinks etc., and would allow for better security in large
uploads.  I'll get around to that one day.

If anyone has any other ideas that should be on the mod_interchange
wishlist then I'd like to hear about them.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz