[ic] Re: Unrecognized character \x7F

John Young john_young at sonic.net
Tue Apr 13 22:04:01 EDT 2004

Rodney S. Foley wrote:

> The problem here sounds like I am missing some 3rd party libraries.  If that
> is the case, how can I found out what they are sense Interchange doesn't
> publish them in the readme?

In the current IC tarball, there is README.rpm-dist, which contains:

   perl -MCPAN -e'install Bundle::CPAN'

   Then install the main modules Interchange uses:

   perl -MCPAN -e'install Bundle::Interchange'

   Instead you may want to install a bundle that includes many optional but
   useful modules:

   perl -MCPAN -e'install Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink'

If you look inside those bundles, you will know what might be required.
As has been stated, though, it sounds like your install is failing before
even getting to that point.  Perhaps you could try the install on a
different system to help troubleshoot the situation.

Those bundles were put together by Mike, free of charge and out of the
goodness of his heart to make things easier for all of us.

There is also discussion of Perl modules in the archives of this mail list,
accessible and searchable via www.icdevgroup.org, courtesy of Mike, Racke,
Jon, and a few others... free of charge, and to make things easier for all
of us.  Us users don't even have to pay for the bandwidth of that server.

> I would like to thank Mike, Racke and all the others who just ignore the
> message who might be able to help, for the incredible welcome to
> Interchange.  This is the welcome you want to give everyone you want to
> drive off, if that is what you are trying to do, just keep it up.

Rodney, you need to think about the hundreds of hours Mike, Racke, and
others have put into those install routines already... and thousands of
hours into the rest of Interchange... and we all are allowed to benefit
from it.  Do you think Mike or Racke need all of the install routines for
themselves?  Much of this sort of thing is written for others.

The biggest problem with Interchange is that it can be very deep and complex
because it can handle very complex requirements (much as with an application
like Sendmail).

Show some patience, and be prepared to invest a lot of time (unless you hire
a consultant to do it for you).  And think about how much work these guys
have already put into what you have downloaded.

John Young