[ic] Re: Unrecognized character \x7F

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Tue Apr 13 22:33:03 EDT 2004

Quoting Rodney S. Foley (aalst at aalst.com):

You don't state it. You do have an error message that features that
in the string. Now if the Perl version you are running is 5.8.x (which
any distribution with kernel 2.4.25 should be running unless it is
completlely custom) then we have a little problem, don't we?

And you don't mention the OS. In fact you don't mention any of the things
that anyone installing software should do the moment they look at the
FAQ.

> Perl is installed correctly, and was just reinstalled to see if that
> was the problem. The Linux Kernel is 2.4.25-1-grsec.

And what is the distribution? That is certainly more pertinent than
a kernel version which anyone can name anything they want.

> If everyone thought like you, which it seems they do, how do new people get
> support?

If they are like me, the first thing they do is read the FAQ. Then they
look around for answers on the web.  Then, and only then, after doing
the minimal research any considerate person should do, do they take the
time of hundreds of people with their question. When they ask the question,
they assemble all relevant information and include it in the post.

> If a person needs help and they are missing information you think
> you need to help, ask them for the information you need.  All the needed
> info to get started was in the original message I posted.  From there the
> only person who offered any type of help is Rene.
>
> The problem here sounds like I am missing some 3rd party libraries.

I have told you that is not the case, but you don't want to believe
me. C'est la vie.

> If that is the case, how can I found out what they are sense
> Interchange doesn't publish them in the readme?

I told you what the problem is, but you don't seem to want to accept the
answer. You have an improperly installed Perl. Whether it is a
mismatched library, a bad locale, or what, I don't know. But that
is your problem; it is nothing else.

Once you get Perl set up properly, Interchange will not only tell you
what modules you need but it will install them for you.

--
Mike Heins

Few blame themselves until they have exhausted all other possibilities.
 -- anonymous