[ic] Area tag and directories

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Mon Aug 16 04:50:37 EDT 2004

rbragg wrote:
> Jamie Neil wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I've just been looking at the urls used for linking in to one of our
>> sites, and noticed that while externally most links to the homepage
>> are in the form:
>>
>>   http://www.oursite.com/
>>
>> all the internal links are:
>>
>>   http://www.oursite.com/index.html
>>
>> "So what?" I hear you say. Well although this doesn't cause navigation
>> problems, I have a feeling that Google (and maybe other engines) treat
>> /index.html and / as different pages as far as ranking is concerned,
>> which means that potentially we are missing a trick.
>>
>> At the moment if you use a directory in the area tag you get this:
>>
>>   [area href="directory/"] = /directory/.html
>>
>> I know there is a cfg option to specify the page suffix for a catalog
>> (HTMLsuffix), but what I wanted to be able to do is switch off the
>> suffix selectively for directories. e.g.:
>>
>>   [area href="page"] = /page.html
>>
>>   [area href="directory/"] = /directory/
>>
>> That way we could do all internal links to the homepage like this:
>>
>>   [area href=""] = /
>>
>> The code change should be fairly simple - just match pages with a
>> trailing "/" (or the null page) and leave off the suffix - I just
>> can't seem to find the code that deals with it. Can anyone point me in
>> the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Maybe try this?
>
> [set mv_add_dot_html][/set]
>  ...Your Link(s)...
> [set mv_add_dot_html]1[/set]
>
> This would at least take off the ".html" at the end of your links.

Thanks - I didn't know you could switch it on and off like that. Learn
something new about IC every day :)

It would be nice if this could be done automatically by the page/area
tags though. AFAICS The presence of a trailing slash or empty href value
are _always_ going to be an indication that ".html" should not be added.

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254