[ic] Can I setup multiple stores and store owner accounts on a single Interchange server instance

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Mon Dec 13 20:06:36 EST 2004

Jim Wang wrote:

>Hi, all
>
>I am new to Interchange.  I have the folloing question:
>   Can I setup multiple stores and store accounts on single Interchange
>server instance?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Jim Wang

You can; the question is more one of "should I do this?"

Each store, assuming a pretty straightforward setup, would logically be
its own Interchange catalog.

Catalogs are generally independent of one another.  However, if you get
into customizations involving globalsubs and global usertags, you'll end
up writing tools for one catalog that end up being valid in all
catalogs.  That's not necessarily a problem, but it's something to consider.

The most obvious problem with this approach is the fact that any time
you make a change in one catalog that requires an Interchange restart --
and there are plenty of such changes that could cause this -- you need
to restart the whole server instance and thus affect all catalogs.  If
the Interchange restart is clean, this will just appear as a momentary
hiccup to the end user.  If the changes are more drastic and don't go
well, your one catalog's change could bring down all catalogs on the box.

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation
ethan at endpoint.com