[ic] Inktomi/Yahoo Search Engine Results include Session ID's

Jamie Neil jamie at versado.net
Sat Feb 21 05:29:45 EST 2004

Jon wrote:
> Perhaps one other possibility to consider and that is that Yahoo may not be
> using
> the UA inktomi. One of my pages cached at Yahoo has a change that occurred
> after inktomi last visited. This is part of the reason I went looking down the IP
> path for google.
> And I've read, but only seen once, where googlebot visited with out identifying
> with
> the UA.  The IP address was googlebot though.  Also based on what others have
> stated in the email thread RobotIPs would it be safe and appropriate to add
> 64.68.82?  to the RobotIP list ?  I don't know the IPs of Yahoo though

Yahoo changed their Robot UA id last week to:

"Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Yahoo! Slurp;
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/ysearch/slurp)"

This coincides with the move away from using Google SERPs on
www.yahoo.com (although www.yahoo.co.uk and others still use Google
results).

My interchange.cfg RobotUA list (4.9.7 CVS) includes "Slurp" so the new
spider is being correctly identified and no session id is being allocated.

I just hope the new Yahoo SERPs get updated more frequently than Inktomi
- Slurp's been all over one of my sites for months (>100 hits/day) and
there are still only 2 pages in the index :(

--
Jamie Neil | <jamie at versado.net> | 0870 7777 454
Versado I.T. Services Ltd. | http://versado.net/ | 0845 450 1254