[ic] more google woes...

Tom Hodder tom at ecnow.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 12:00:12 EST 2004

Hi,

I had been working on getting my current prototype site submitted to google,
and had a reasonable amount of success, for example a search for
"QCA Design Technology" on google used to return my site, and the correct
interchange page with the full deep path, the the right product would be the
first link.

Now google have done something odd, and all the old listings have returned,
showing a load of broken links (from the old site), and all my new ic deeply
indexed links have gone. I noticed this, because there was a big drop in
google referrals, and an increase in 404 errors on 20/2/2004.

Any ideas on what could have caused that? One thing that I did do, was add
meta description and meta keywords to the left/right/top and left/top
templates, earlier in the week. I could understand how google might change the
way it indexes the current pages as a result of that, but I can't see how it
would start returning really old results.

Cheers.

T.