[ic] Template madness

David Radovanovic dave at whatsthebigidea.com
Mon Jan 5 20:48:42 EST 2004

interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org wrote:
> Quoting David Radovanovic (dave at whatsthebigidea.com):
>> I don't know why this is so difficult for me to grasp, though the
>> template system IC uses is driving me mad. I've created my own
>> template altering a "foundation" template: templates/leftright. Here
>> is what I've done:
>>
>> 1. Created four regions; LEFTRIGHT_TOP, LEFTRIGHT_LEFT,
>> LEFTRIGHT_RIGHT, LEFTRIGHT_BOTTOM
>> 2. Created a new template "leftright" (overwriting the old
>> leftright):
>>
>> [comment]
>> ui_template: leftright
>> ui_template_name: leftright
>> ui_template_layout: LEFTRIGHT_TOP, LEFTRIGHT_LEFT, UI_CONTENT,
>> LEFTRIGHT_RIGHT, LEFTRIGHT_BOTTOM
>> ui_template_description: Page with top/left/content/right/bottom
>> areas. ui_template_limit_tag: ui_template_version: 4.8.7
>>
>> page_title:
>>
>> members_only:
>>
>> [/comment]
>>
>> Two things happen that confuses me:
>>
>> 1. I have to manually add the @_LEFTRIGHT_LEFT_@ and
>> @_LEFTRIGHT_RIGHT_@ to each *.html page:
>>
>> @_LEFTRIGHT_TOP_@
>> @_LEFTRIGHT_LEFT_@
>> <!-- BEGIN CONTENT -->
>>
>> <!-- END CONTENT -->
>> @_LEFTRIGHT_RIGHT_@
>> @_LEFTRIGHT_BOTTOM_@
>>
>> 2. Then when I check back in the new template via "Template Edit",
>> @_LEFTRIGHT_LEFT_@ and @_LEFTRIGHT_RIGHT_@ are embedded into the
>> "Top of template" and "Bottom of template or input below:" edit
>> fields and the "Template sequence" is back to the original
>> "LEFTRIGHT_TOP, UI_CONTENT, LEFTRIGHT_BOTTOM"
>>

> IC's template editor only handles top/bottom template areas.

Mike,
Should I forgo the editor in this case? Though, it would be nice to edit the
raw file without having to download/upload through IC. I don't have root
access to this particular server and interch owns all the files within the
catalog. Is there any reason why the above wouldn't work or am I missing
something?
Thanks

David Radovanovic
WhatsTheBigIdea.com, Inc.