[ic] Spiders and affiliate tracking

Rene Hertell interchange-users at hertell.com
Tue Jan 6 18:19:18 EST 2004

> > 	It shouldn't stop them from seeing any pages, typically... it
> > just strips stuff after the ? which is usually just mv_pc or
> the session
> > id.
>
> AFAIK mv_pc and session_id are suppressed for known robots on IC4.9/5.0
> anyway to avoid these kind of problems.
>
> However I have some pages where I pass parameters through that affect
> the page output, for example filtering on a particular manufacturer or
> price band. I want these pages to be indexed separately.

Why don't you use the robots.txt file and redirect them to a page the
generates a complete index of your products and a url to each product?

Create a page like this:

[query list=1 sql="select sku, name from products"]
sku].html">[sql-param sku]</a><br />
[/query]

I think You have to figure out hot to keep this page out of the
search-engines, but that could probably be done with either the robots.txt
file or by setting a meta-header that expires the page...
Rene