[ic] OT: Redhat Alternatives?

Ron Phipps rphipps at reliant-solutions.com
Fri Jan 9 18:24:19 EST 2004

> From: interchange-users-bounces at icdevgroup.org
[mailto:interchange-users-
> bounces at icdevgroup.org] On Behalf Of Russell Mann
>
> Hello,
>
> I've been running IC since it was Minivend 3.x on RedHat.  Actually my
> first
> install was on Irix, but that was a server going out the door at the
time,
> so I didn't spend much time on it.  Anyways, I just wanted to see what
> other
> professionals are doing about the RedHat licensing situation.  Are you
> migrating new systems to another O/S?  Which one?  Which one(s) work
well
> with IC/mysql/pgsql?  Which ones suck?  Are you just paying the fees
and
> counting it as cost of doing business?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Russell Mann

Hey Russ,

We just ordered a new DELL PowerEdge 2650 that will be powering the new
FrozenCPU.com site.  We will be installing Redhat Enterprise Linux ES
3.0 on it.  We pretty much came to the conclusion that it's worth paying
the license fees if it guarantees errata updates for 5 years.  I'd
rather not upgrade the OS every 2-3 years if we do not need to.  I did
notice that after we purchased one license at $349 we are able to
purchase additional licenses for other servers for %50 off up until Feb
29th.  Also the renew price next year will be %50 off as well.  We are
also evaluating FreeBSD for some of our non IC servers.

Good luck!
-Ron