[ic] some issues with 5.0 and oracle

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Wed Jan 21 16:33:35 EST 2004

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Stefan Hornburg wrote:

> > 2. In the foundation demo the field inactive in the products table is defined
> > as VARCHAR2(128) (the default).  This causes the select statement: select *
> > from products where inactive != 1 to fail to retrive any products. So all scans
> > fail.  I vote to make it NUMBER(38) default 0.
>
> Why NUMBER(38) ? Isn't there a data type like boolean or a something similar
> to the MySQL counterpart:
> TINYINT(1) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL

Are you sure it's not failing because of the != comparison? SQL's
standard inequality operator is <> and not != so that could be it.

If you think it's failing because it needs to be numeric, how about a
simple NUMBER(1)?

> > 4. In the foundation demo data options.txt, the first record is missing a tab
> > as the first character.
>
> I'm not sure if its really missing. Anyone ?

No, that's the way it's supposed to be. If it's failing in Oracle
there's probably a type mismatch in one of the fields.

It's in Interchange 4.8 options table format where a single table is
overloaded to have different row types. We probably should just convert it
to one of the new option types.

Jon