[ic] Upgrade from 4.8.9 to 5.2

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Wed Jul 14 14:32:54 EDT 2004

Quoting Russell Mann (tech at khouse.org):
> > I have a successful 4.8.9 site and some 5.2 sites.
> >
> > I wish to upgrade the Foundation based site to 5.2.
> >
> > Obviously I could just create the cgi-bin file, add to 5.2
> > sites list and fix the tags and variable but I would end up
> > with a 5.2 version of my old site.
> >
> > I would like to actually use Mike's demo version but I am not
> > sure of how to migrate it.
> >
> > I particularly like the multi page checkout.
> >
> > One problem I have had with testing Mike's demo is with 4000
> > products generating the menu can take 30minutes or more and
> > also be too large to use on-line.  This is because ti creates
> > a menu item for all products.
> > Can the menus be generated for just groups and categories?
> >
> > Regards
> > Andrew Rich
> > Maps Downunder
>

> My recent upgrade from 4.6 to 5.2 was best accomplished by installing a
> fresh 5.2 and migrating over my old settings/files piece by piece.  I tried
> other ways, but this was the most fruitful.

4.6 to 5.2 was a *much* bigger update. 4.8.9 catalogs should just
run -- I have updated dozens of them and had this happen.

There will be some little things to make the UI work with it, but
the customer-facing side should just move. You might eventually
want to migrate in the changes to the etc/log_transaction and
etc/*profiles* stuff.

The only incompatibilities we have seen have been in the area
of product options -- if you created your own modular SKUs (instead
of using the ones suggested by the UI) then you can see some
discrepancies.

--
Mike Heins

Some people have twenty years of experience, some people have
one year of experience twenty times over. -- Anonymous