[ic] Complex options, checking inventory at later?

Jeme jeme at rkdpp.com
Thu Jul 22 11:14:42 EDT 2004

Hey all, and thanks for being a fantastic resource thus far.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to handle some items that have some
rather complex options.

At first, I implemented simple options for some items and then realized
that they are useless unless all of your items are made to order because
using simple options only allows you to check inventory on the sku
rather than the variant.  I've re-implemented all of my simple options
as matrix options and that seems to do the trick.  (Though I haven't
tested it thoroughly, I've followed instructions and it seems
straightforward.  Any gotchas would be great.)

Anyway, I have a handful of items that have too many options to use the
matrix options as implemented.  (If I were to make a list of the options
and then select "create all possible combinations", I'd end up with a
drop-down with hundreds of items and that's just not OK.)

So I'm trying to figure out how to represent these items in my catalog.

Essentially, I have items that are assemblies of parts (though the parts
cannot be purchased individually).  These parts come in different styles
and colors and the final project is a mix-and-match of three parts in
customer-chosen style and color.

So, the main body comes in two sizes, six styles and four colors; the
attachment comes in two styles, four colors; and the cover comes in 33
colors.  (It will probably be best to list each of the six body styles as
separate products, but that's still a very large array of variants per
product.)

I was hoping to be able to have multiple select boxes on the product
page, but that leaves me with the problem of checking inventory and
constructing the item code.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm writing about?  Do you see how it could be done?

Oh, PLEASE, save me.

J.