[ic] HTdig or Googling a local IC Site for better search results on numerous columns

Barry Treahy, Jr. Treahy at MMaz.com
Wed Jul 28 14:21:15 EDT 2004

Has anyone assembled an integrated search or advanced search feature
into IC that would better handle keyword searches across a large number
of columns in a MySQL database?  At present, the method I'm doing are
searches against INDEX columns on some of the key fields and then
attempting to reduce that, but the flexibility sucks and the performance
is even worse;  I'm 4.8.6.

What I'm hoping to find is a more intelligent search that someone can
key into the search field specs related to our product and the search
would be able to rapidly refine the results.  For example, in a generic
case that everyone might relate to, pretend I have a bike shop and
someone wants to search for:
     Blue Ten-Speed Bicycle with 18 inch wheels
would need to word search across many possible columns (presuming
separate columns for color, speed, wheel size) and may not have a hit on
all, but if the returned search was ranked, it wouldn't matter, or
better yet, could also offer the Google style 'Did you mean: Dark-Blue
Ten-Speed Bicycle with 20 inch wheels' for example.

What I have been thinking about during is exporting all of the columns
of a record into a single field, linked back to the originating SKU, but
I just thought there must be a better way to do this, and to have good
search ranking results and perhaps even the 'Did you mean' fuzzy
matching on better results...

Please note that this bike shop example is overly simplistic when
compared to the number of data element columns used to represent our
products (we're an electronic components manufacturer), which is why I'm
struggling with this...

Regards,

Barry

--

Barry Treahy, Jr                       E-mail: Treahy at MMaz.com
Midwest Microwave                          Phone: 480/314-1320