[ic] system() call in usertag, again... :(

Stefan Hornburg racke at linuxia.de
Thu Jul 29 03:59:50 EDT 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:30:24 +0200
Carsten Jahnke <carstenjahnke at web.de> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have perlscript that I want to be executed by a
> system("perl /path/to/script parameters "); command in a controlling
> usertag. It starts fine but it just breaks up after a while. the runtime
>   varies from start to start. sometimes I also get it to run completely
> through the script!
> Unfortunately I get no response of what lets IC stop the execution of
> the script. It just drops out with some strange return values of 265 or
> so...
> Could it be faulty to call a perlscript with system("...") which itself
> also calls various programms with system("..") (e.g. mysqladmin)?
> When I run the same script by hand there are absolutely no errors :(
> Using backticks causes the same strange behavior.
> I have no messages in <ic_dir>/error.log or <catroot>/error.log
>
> What is the problem about calling a perlscript by using system() in a
> usertag?

First of all it is IMHO no good idea at all to call Perl scripts with system
in an usertag. Put the functionality of the script into a module and
include this with Interchange, or if the script is too large and or
seldom used, allow it to be called via CGI or SOAP. Additionally I doubt
that a Perl scripts needs to be use mysqladmin instead of SQL commands.

Bye
	Racke

Interchange Development Team