[ic] Simple Sub-Category Question

Ed LaFrance (New Media E.M.S.) ic_users at newmediaems.com
Thu Jul 29 14:04:43 EDT 2004

At 08:17 PM 7/28/2004, you wrote:

>Hello all, any help on this issue would be appreciated. I tried searching
>the archives but didn't quite find anything that quite addressed my issue,
>though I know it must be a common one.
>
>Basically, I would like to have interchange display a list of links on the
>left (from the vertical category bar) but just have it display product
>areas (no categories)... I'm doing a paintball-themed site, so the links
>on the left would just be like "Goggles", "Guns", "Barrels", etc. Upon
>clicking on one of the main areas, the user would see a list of the
>different manufacturers, or categories in the *main* area, and would then
>be able to click on manufacturers, such as "Smart Parts", or "Dye" and
>then have interchange do the search and display the products under that
>category.
>
>I can't figure out the way to do this; any time I set up a search, even if
>I specify to search on the 'cat' table instead of the 'products' table, I
>always get a list of products returned, never just a list of categories..
>Ive played around, read lots of documentation, and experimented but still
>can't find a simple way to display a list of categories rather than a list
>of products. I'm not very knowledgeable about interchange, though, so that
>could be part of it. Any help or pointers to other threads addressing this
>issue would be much appreciated! Thanks much.
>
>Joshua
>feanor at u.washington.edu

AFAIK there is no 'category list' page in the foundation demo's page
repository. You would need to create one, constructed to include a
one-click search for each category, then make your side bar links complex
search types so you could target this page for each prod_group. It's a fair
amount of code and requires basic understanding of ITL and the way that
searches work in Interchange.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          Ed.LaFrance at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax