[ic] how to block a customer

rbragg redhat at rickbragg.net
Tue Jun 1 20:06:12 EDT 2004

steve wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    I'm receiving many fraudulant orders from a specific ip address.  Is
> there an easy way to block this person from using the checkout page?  I do
> not use online credit card processing.
>
> thank you
> steve

It is not the best idea to block access based on IP. i.e. many services
use DHCP and a quick off-on of the ol modem would take care of that,
then the next poor sole who picks up that IP from the pool would be out.
 From a customer service standpoint it would be best to limit access
based on name/address, email address or some other method that will lock
them out. maybe it is best to make it look like the site is "broken" to
them so you don't put gas on the fire. i.e. if you put up a big page
like "You are not allowed! Go AWAY!" at the checkout, that will make
them more likely to try to get around it. however if you make it load a
blank page, or a broken checkout page, they may just go away.

Tough call!
Best
Rick