[ic] Restarting Interchange when site live

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Sat Jun 5 15:23:33 EDT 2004

Quoting John1 (list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk):
> Is it safe to restart the Interchange daemon while a site is live and while
> a customer may potentially be in the middle of the order process.

Yes, because if their page transaction has started, the forked (or preforked)
server they are using will not terminate until it is over.

If you were to do a KILL and not a TERM signal, that obviously changes.

> i.e.  Is all the session data stored on disk, and would the customer be able
> to complete their order where they left off, if the site were unavailable
> for say 10 seconds in the middle of their order?
>
> If I wanted catalog changes to be applied to a live site would I be better
> just sending an "Apply changes" command rather than actually restarting the
> daemon.  Would this have any adverse effects on a customer halfway through
> placing an order?

No, other than the fact they will use the pre-reconfigured (sic?)
configuration.

--
Mike Heins

There's nothing sweeter than life nor more precious than time.
-- Barney