[ic] Any way to get Debian Linux to run IC using the threaded Perl

Scott Martin smartin at steamvalve.com
Thu Jun 17 21:30:19 EDT 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 04:23 pm, Mark Weaver wrote:
> Scott Martin wrote:

Try This:

        perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink'

There will be number of choices/packages to make/install
if they are not installed.

The easiest way to check if the packages are installed
is to use locate, but

            updatedb

should be run before the attempt to install the kitchensink.
No need to panich if the package is missing, just install it
using apt-get or my favourite

        dselect

Here is the original letter In did not need any of that except
for installing some required packcages and the kitchensink:

I strongly suggest that you read the README and INSTALL files that are
provided with the Perl tar archive. The procedure I use is as follows.

   1. Download the latest Perl tar archive from CPAN.

   2. Untar the archive into a temporary directory.

   3. Rename the existing /usr/bin/perl to something
like /usr/bin/perl5.8.0-threads or /usr/bin/perl5.6.1 (or whatever), as a
backup.

   4. Type the following (or whatever you decide is appropriate for you, after
reading the INSTALL file) as root:
      Code:
      sh Configure -de -Dprefix=/usr
      make
      make test
      make install

   5. Remove the temporary directory and its contents.

The installation will overwrite install into /usr/bin, thus avoiding
any /usr/local/bin nastiness while also removing the risk of having multiple
versions of an executable called perl in your path. As you may
know, /usr/bin/perl is the specific path/file that most Perl scripts look
for.

Once you've installed Perl, you'll need to install a few modules. I suggest
that you type one of the following:
Code:
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::Interchange'

or preferably:
Code:
perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::InterchangeKitchenSink'