[ic] Recommendations for a two-system setup

Stefan Hornburg racke at linuxia.de
Wed Jun 23 17:25:13 EDT 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:13:16 -0700 (PDT)
Grant <emailgrant123b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I need to have two separate Gentoo Linux installs; one
> for testing and one for production.  How would you
> guys set this up?  This will be strictly for an IC
> store only.
>
> I can't set up two of them on a single dedicated
> machine can I?

You can do that for sure with a little bit of precaution
on the testing site (e.g. no load tests and crazy programming).

> If not, I will end up with two hosting
> accounts and the need to transfer files between them
> over the Internet right?  Is CVS the way to accomplish
> that transfer?

That is one of your choices, but you can do that with
rsync as well, which is safe and efficient and can
be configured to exclude certain files you wouldn't want
to synchronize. I really recommend to use a version
control system (CVS, Subversion, Aegis, ..) anyway.
Pick up a copy of "Pragmatic Programmers" if you
don't trust me :-)

	Racke

--
Upcoming Talks and Presentations: