[ic] Recommendations for a two-system setup

Grant emailgrant123b at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 18:22:15 EDT 2004

--- Stefan Hornburg <racke at linuxia.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 12:13:16 -0700 (PDT)
> Grant <emailgrant123b at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to have two separate Gentoo Linux installs;
> one
> > for testing and one for production.  How would you
> > guys set this up?  This will be strictly for an IC
> > store only.
> >
> > I can't set up two of them on a single dedicated
> > machine can I?
>
> You can do that for sure with a little bit of
> precaution
> on the testing site (e.g. no load tests and crazy
> programming).
>
> > If not, I will end up with two hosting
> > accounts and the need to transfer files between
> them
> > over the Internet right?  Is CVS the way to
> accomplish
> > that transfer?
>
> That is one of your choices, but you can do that
> with
> rsync as well, which is safe and efficient and can
> be configured to exclude certain files you wouldn't
> want
> to synchronize. I really recommend to use a version
> control system (CVS, Subversion, Aegis, ..) anyway.
> Pick up a copy of "Pragmatic Programmers" if you
> don't trust me :-)
>
> 	Racke

Thank you very much Racke.  rsync sounds nice and I'm
looking at version control systems right now.

I've also been turned on to this:

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

which allows you to run virtual kernels of a host
kernel.  The hardware-shared hosting account (with
root access) I'm on works like this.

- Grant