[ic] modify search to ignore hyphens

DB DB at M-and-D.com
Thu Jun 24 07:57:29 EDT 2004

I'm using a 4.8.9/foundation catalog and want to create a search form
that will ignore hyphens. For example I want a search for: ABCDE to
return as a match: A-B-CDE

and a search for: A-BCDE to return as a match: ABCDE

With my present search form shown below of course this doesn't happen.

<input type=hidden name=mv_session_id value="[data session id]">
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_searchtype VALUE=text>
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_matchlimit VALUE=[control matches 25]>
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_sort_field VALUE=category>
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_column_op VALUE=rm>
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_case VALUE=no>
<INPUT TYPE=hidden NAME=mv_substring_match VALUE=yes>
<INPUT MAXLENGTH=30 NAME=mv_searchspec type=text size=10>
<input type="image" alt="Search Go" border="0"
src="__THEME_IMG_DIR__go.gif">

Sounds like perl's substitution functionality would be the answer but
I'm not much of a perl coder. Any perl wizards out there have a solution?

DB