[ic] shipping control

New Media E.M.S. ic_users at newmediaems.com
Wed Jun 30 14:42:14 EDT 2004

At 10:50 AM 6/30/2004, you wrote:

>New Media E.M.S. wrote:
>
> > At 08:30 AM 6/30/2004, you wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I've got a problem that I need to address rather quickly. Some of the
> >> products we sell using interchange are such that they will not ship UPS
> >> even though individually they meet the 150lb. per item requirement.
> >> Because of this they need to be shipped by common carrier.
> >>
> >> What I need to do is check the cart on the checkout page and if one or
> >> more of these items exists in the cart replace the shipping method drop
> >> down menu with a message that their contains items that require
> >> specialized shipping and that they should call for shipping costs and
> >> arrangements reguardless of whether they're logged in or not. The
> >> checkout page has to read the cart and alert the customer of this
> >> special nee without assigning any shipping charges to the order.
> >>
> >> I'm really not sure exactly where to start to accomplish this so any and
> >> all help will be hugely appreciated.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >>  Mark Weaver
> >>  American Micro - Webmaster
> >>  1-800-558-2058
> >

> > I assume there is some kind of flag field in the products table for
> > these items which must go by motor freight? If so, it could be as easy
> > as adding something like this to the cart recap code on the checkout page:
> >
> > [if-item-field motor_freight_flag_field]
> >         [tmp motor_freight]1[/tmp]
> > [/if-item-field]
> >

> > ...and then in the shipping info area:
> >
> > [if scratch motor_freight]
> >         [value name=mv_shipmode value='']
> >         <b>Your order requires special shipping arrangements.
> >         Please contact customer service.</b>
> > [else]
> >         (regular shipping selector code here)
> > [/else]
> > [/if]
> >

> > - Ed L.
> >

>Hi Ed,
>
>I checked both the inventory and product tables and there doesn't appear
>to be any type of flag that the cart could look for. Couldn't this just
>as easily be done with the sku? I've created options for the individual
>products in question, but all they do is half the job in that they
>display a message that tells the customer that the item requires special
>shipping.

Unless you are only selling one or two items that require special handling,
or the SKU's for said items contain some common pattern, you are better off
adding a flag field which can contain a binary value for this purpose - it
makes the logic at checkout much simpler.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax