[ic] shipping control

New Media E.M.S. ic_users at newmediaems.com
Wed Jun 30 15:24:51 EDT 2004

At 11:50 AM 6/30/2004, you wrote:

>New Media E.M.S. wrote:

> >> UPS

> >> drop

> >> any and

> >> page:

> >> Hi Ed,
> >>
> >> I checked both the inventory and product tables and there doesn't appear
> >> to be any type of flag that the cart could look for. Couldn't this just
> >> as easily be done with the sku? I've created options for the individual
> >> products in question, but all they do is half the job in that they
> >> display a message that tells the customer that the item requires special
> >> shipping.
> >

> > Unless you are only selling one or two items that require special
> > handling, or the SKU's for said items contain some common pattern, you
> > are better off adding a flag field which can contain a binary value for
> > this purpose - it makes the logic at checkout much simpler.
> >
> > - Ed
>
>Actually these items do have something in common which is part of the
>sku. MLVB is the first four characters of the sku followed by a few
>different letters and numbers detailing their precise application and
>attributes.
>
>So far I've used your example in the file
>include/checkout/shipping_address and its telling printing out the
>message for anything and everything that is placed into the cart
>thinking...well I haven't got a clue what its thinking. Here's what I've
>got in that file:
>

>           [if-item-field sku]
>                 [tmp sku]1[/tmp]
>           [/if-item-field]

Not positive,  but I think at one time somebody added code to [if-PREFIX]
to allow simple regex's:

[if-item-field sku =~ /^MLVB/]
         [tmp sku]1[/tmp]
[/if-item-field]

...otherwise you can just put something like this at the top of checkout.html:

[calc]
   foreach (@{$Items}) {
     if ($_->{code} =~ /^MLVB/) {
       $Tag->tmp('sku', '1');
       last;
     }
   }
   return;
[/calc]

This should at least get you pointed in the right direction.

- Ed

Fair Oaks, CA  95628          edl at newmediaems.com
(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free      (916) 961-0447 Fax