[ic] spawn error in rpc mode -- 'products not a database'

Jack Cushman jc at alexinteractive.com
Thu Mar 11 10:44:41 EST 2004

Hi --

I'm seeing intermittent Internal Server Errors when running IC 5 in rpc
mode. The error is

"Died in server spawn: products not a database, cannot use as products
file"

(though I've also seen "Died in server spawn: Can't call method "new"
on an undefined value at /usr/local/interchange/lib/Vend/Data.pm line
751." -- that may be a separate issue)

Searching the archives, I see the first error coming up frequently upon
startup for a misconfigured catalog. Since my catalog runs well upon
startup, and then throws this error, I'm thinking it must be one of
those problems with config variables not being passed to newly spawned
threads in RPC mode. Can anyone shed more light?

I'm running Interchange version 5.0.0,  perl v5.8.3 built for
i686-linux. Under -V perl says "usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef
useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef", so I suspect perl threads are
off. Let me know if there's any other config information that would be
useful.

Thanks for your help,
Jack Cushman