[ic] Upgrading to IC 5 via RPM from 4.8.7 RPM

Duane Hinkley duane at DownHomeWebDesign.com
Thu Mar 18 07:54:41 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Jensen" <jon at endpoint.com>
To: <interchange-users at icdevgroup.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 2004 3:45 PM
Subject: Re: [ic] Upgrading to IC 5 via RPM from 4.8.7 RPM

> On Sat, 13 Mar 2004, Mark Bryant wrote:
>
> > In an effort to resolve my "others who" problem, I'm investigating
> > upgrading to version 5.
> >
> > My original install was performed via RPM as follows:
> >
> >          interchange-4.8.7-1
> >          interchange-foundation-4.8.7-1
> >          interchange-foundation-demo-4.8.7-1
> >
> > I'm not using the foundation demo as I've created my own catalogue
(based
> > on the foundation store).
> >
> > I can see that there are 3 RPMs available for my RH 7.3 OS.
> >
> > I'm thinking that all i need to do is:
> >
> >          1: download the core RPM
> >          2: stop IC
> >          3: rpm -Uvh interchange-5.0.0-1.7.i386.rpm
> >          4: restart IC
> >
> > Would the above process be safe, upgrade the IC engine and avoid
wrecking
> > my current catalogue?
>
> It would be nice, but I can't recommend it. You'd have no way to undo it
> if it causes trouble. And there may be differences between 4.8.7 and 5.0.0
> that affect your catalog. The only safe way to do it is to install
> elsewhere (a different server, or a different user with tarball install)
> and test your catalog there.
>
> Jon

Jon,

You definitely want to have a "Back Out Plan" as in any upgrade.  For
example, backup the server before upgrading and restore the backup if
everything falls apart.

My experience with upgrades is the only place I run into problems is where
I've made custom pages or components.  The other area for problems is
getting users to accept the change.  I've never had it break things totally.

Sincerely,

Duane Hinkley

Down Home Web Design, Inc.
9494 W. Fairview Ave., Suite C