[ic] Migrating from 4.8.6 to 5.0

Jonathan Clark jonc at webmaint.com
Fri Mar 19 05:57:46 EST 2004

> We're going to be migrating a few sites from what has been a very
> stable 4.8.6 to 5.0. What are the specific areas we should look out for
> as we do this migration? Are there any major compatibility issues? Any
> advice for the undertaking?

My preference for a 4.8.x migration is to start off with a fresh foundation
demo on 5.0 and then move over page content, templates, data, custom
metadata etc. I find this is the best way to ensure a properly working UI.

How much work this would be depends on how customised your site is..

Off the top of my head, there are a number of new fields and the product
options has been improved so their data structure has changed. The menu
building features have been improved with the new Menu Builder which will
allow you to create/manage a tree-type menu. There also are some additional
fields in the mv_metadata table.

good luck!

Jonathan

--