[ic] Lingering interchange processes + too many open files

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 14:43:53 EST 2004

On Saturday, March 13, 2004 3:09 PM, list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> If I stop the interchange server with:
>
> su -c "/opt/interchange/bin/interchange -stop" - interch
>
> a number of interchange processes still remain, i.e. "ps -aux|grep
> interchange" still lists some interchange processes which I then have
> to kill off with "killall -9 interchange"
>
> What might be causing these lingering processes (which it seems can
> either be dead, sleeping or running)??
>
> Occasionally my server "stops working" and at the shell prompt I
> just get "Too many open files" in response to any and every command.
> I have to close my ftp session or whatever (to free up some files no
> doubt), before I can even do anything else.  I feel that this problem
> may be related to the "dead" interchange processes holding onto files.
>
> Are or could these problems be related??  I believe that it is
> possible to increase the allowed number of open files - can anyone
> explain how to do this, together with an idea of what reasonable open
> files count might be.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I posted the above last week - apologies for reposting if that is bad form,
but I have been unable to find the reason for these lingering processes.

BTW, I am running IC 5.0.0 in RPC mode.  I think the problem started after
switching from using low-traffic mode to RPC mode.

I am not sure, but it is possible that the lingering processes accumulate as
a result of issuing repeated restarts, i.e.

su -c "/opt/interchange/bin/interchange -r" - interch

Has anyone else experience this problem?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.