[ic] Submitting patches (was: MaxQuantityField, cart.pm modification; to allow for stock at multiple locations)

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon May 3 18:10:51 EDT 2004

John1 [list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk] wrote:
> On Monday, April 19, 2004 1:57 AM, kevin at cursor.biz wrote:
> > John1 [list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk] wrote:
> > > It would be good if the MaxQuantityField code in cart.pm could cope
> > > with more than 1 quantity field in the inventory table.
> > >
> > > e.g.  In a scenario where there are 3 warehouses:
> > >
> > > MaxQuantityFiled inventory::quantity1::quantity2::quantity3
> > >
> > > where quantity1, quantity2 and quantity3 are 3 separate fields in
> > > table "inventory", recording stock levels at the 3 warehouse.
> > >
> > [snip: discussion and code suggestions]
> >
> Kevin - thanks for your great reply and code suggestion.  Sorry for my
> delay in responding.
>
> Can you point me in the direction of a "Submitting a patch - How to"?
>
> Do I need to install CVS?  I don't expect that I will be submitting many
> patches as my Perl isn't up to much, so if there is a way I can submit a
> patch without installing CVS that would be great.

You don't need to use CVS unless you want to get the latest version
from the repository.  You won't have write (commit) access to the
repository by default.

Assuming you still have a copy of the original file, you can create
a patch file with the following command:

    diff -c foo.pm.orig foo.pm > foo.pm.patch

If you're using CVS then you can compare your file with the one in
the CVS repository as follows:

    cvs diff -c foo.pm > foo.pm.patch

Once you have a patch file, you can email it to this mail list, or
the core list, and it will be picked up from there.  Please state the
original file's version number when submitting a patch.

Also, don't expect the patch, if accepted, to necessarily appear in
the next release; Depending upon the change, the patch may be applied
to the development source, instead of to the stable branch, in which
case it won't be seen until the next major version.  Of course, if
the patch is deemed to have zero impact on current setups and is also
deemed to be stable then it may be included in the next stable release.

You, of course, are free to re-apply your patch to every upgrade you
perform until it's included as standard.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz