[ic] Is there a way to implement SQL triggers in interchange using mysql?

Ethan E. Rowe ethan at the-rowes.com
Thu May 13 11:45:38 EDT 2004

Tim Good wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>As the subject states, Is there a way to implement SQL triggers in
>interchange using MySQL?

Tim, what do you mean by "SQL triggers in interchange"?  Just want to
make sure I understand your question.

Our store (using PostgreSQL rather than MySQL) makes extensive use of
database triggers.  Interchange itself doesn't have to know anything
about them, which is one of the beauties of implementing business rules
in the database level rather than the application level.  You simply
design your triggers in the database engine of choice, and potentially
look for ways in which your particular catalog implementation might
conflict with the purpose of the triggers.

For instance, our inventory is handled almost entirely via triggers --
inserting, updating, and deleting order lines causes the appropriate
inventory item to be affected.  Consequently, Interchange doesn't need
to do anything with inventory whatsoever when it comes to order
processing.  When I implemented the triggers, I had to just take a quick
look in log_transaction to turn off the inventory decrement that took
place there (I can't remember if that's a standard thing from
foundation's log_transaction or if it was a previous customization).

Does this at all answer your question?

-Ethan Rowe
Interchange-based site: www.nbp.org (built in large part by End Point
corporation www.endpoint.com)