[ic] perl option to path

Boyd Lynn Gerber gerberb at zenez.com
Thu Nov 18 12:53:11 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Paul Arnold wrote:
> Hello,
> I was reading a earlier email concerning the path for perl. When I try to
> install interchange on a Fedora Core 3 it says it could find perl at
> /usr/local/bin/perl
>
> Anyways, I have a new fresh install on FC3. And I was reading the email, and
> you guys had talked about using ./Configure --prefix=/my path to install perl
> before I install Interchange.
> I am not sure what prefix to use to install it.
> When it says my path, do I put in /usr/local/bin/perl  ?
> or /usr/local/bin?

I create a fie called perl-local with for example.

-----------------------------Cut Here perl-local---------------------
PREFIX=/home/user_directory/local \
INSTALLPRIVLIB=/home/user_directory/local/lib/perl5 \
INSTALLSCRIPT=/home/user_directory/local/bin \
INSTALLSITELIB=/home/user_directory/local/lib/perl5/site_perl \
INSTALLBIN=/home/user_directory/local/bin \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=/home/user_directory/local/lib/perl5/man \
INSTALLMAN3DIR=/home/user_directory/local/lib/perl5/man/man3
-----------------------------Cut Here--------------------------------

What I did was use this as my perl make command.

perl Makefile.PL `cat ~/perl-local`

The key is you have to have write access to the directory where you have
your files.

This now allows you to make and install the perl files.  But you still
have to deal with the system perl files.  Perl 5 has an enviroment
variable to solve this.

I add this to my .profile.  I use the korn shell.

PERL5LIB=/home/user_directory/local/lib/perl5:/home/user_diretory/local/lib/perl5/site_perl:
export PERL5LIB

Now I could run perl with the correct modules.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb at zenez.com>
ZENEZ	1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047