[ic] cookies and the shopping cart

Mark Weaver mark at americanmicroinc.com
Mon Nov 22 08:58:37 EST 2004

Hi all,

This moring I was handed a message sent to head of the sales department
from a customer who had been on our storefront recently and experienced
something interesting while attempting to save their shopping cart
during their visit to Interchange.

As I understand it they wanted to save their cart and do some more
shopping, however their cookie settings were such that it was not
possible at the time for them to do this. Apparently they were greeted
with the following message:

"You must have cookies set to leave the basket. Check out now or forever
lose your shopping cart."

My suspicion is that this is a customer that is using IE6 with SP2
installed on their Windows XP machine. If this is indeed the case the
only way for them at the moment to be able to save their cart is to
change their security settings themselves. To my mind this just isn't a
viable option. Following is the rest of the message outlining their
cookie settings:

*******************************
This is the message dispayed when I went to check out. Actually, I
wanted to add a couple more things to my shopping cart and not check out
right that second. Your message tells me I'm unable to do so.

My cookie policy is pretty much standard. I block cookies from tracking
sites (third-party cookies) but allow cookies for personalized services.
I block third-party cookies that use personal inforamtion from my site
with my consent. I also block first-cookies that try to use personal
information from my site without my consent. This is standard practice
in internet explorer and my firewall. I like my privacy.

It's not the message that needs to be changed although... It's the
cookie policy by your webmaster.
********************************

So, my question is this: is there a better way to approach the cookies
and their setting so that a tightly configured browser with secure
settings can still be able to save their shopping carts?

======= Interchange Information =======
RedHat 9.0
Perl 5.8.5 ( compiled with no-threading )
Interchange 5.2 ( foundation )
Mysql 3.23
Perl mods ( all of'em including the kitchen sink! )

--
Mark Weaver
American Micro Industries, Inc.