[ic] Encrypting password

Ethan Rowe ethan at endpoint.com
Mon Nov 22 22:12:52 EST 2004

The Disguised Jedi wrote:

>I want the user's password to be encrypted when it is saved to the
>database.  I set the field to have the "crypt" filter applied to it,
>and now the password is encrypted, but the user cannot log on because
>the page doesn't encrypt the password before sending it to the DB!
>Please let me know if there is a preference I need to change in my
>configuration, or if there is a line of code I can add to my login
>page to encrypt the password.
>
>Thanks in advance for your responses...

You don't want to use the crypt filter for this.  Instead, in your
catalog.cfg file, specify:
UserDB crypt 1

This tells the Interchange UserDB module that you want to use encrypted
passwords.  The user provides a plaintext password when creating an
account, logging in, etc., and the userdb code handles the encryption
portion for you.  That's all you need to do -- you don't have to handle
the encryption logic yourself at all.

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation