[ic] Mailing List vs. Message Board

Gary Norton gnorton at broadgap.com
Fri Oct 29 17:45:18 EDT 2004

>>Is there a specific reason that this site is not using message boards? This is not meant to be antagonistic, but I find the message board structure easier to navigate and prefer the default threading.
>>

>Well, I for example, ignore "message boards" as much as I can. There's nothing
>of their idea, usage or usefulness that attracts me.
>
>I could take out a big list of why message boards should die, but that's out of the
>scope here; I'm just saying that people's taste differs.

Perhaps I am missing something I could be doing. How do you best view
the thread of a message  from a mail list? The threading capabilities of
Thunderbird still miss categorize messages in a thread, and the thread
view link from the Mailing List archives is not very accurate either.

>>I find that for most of my research needs all my resources are message
>>board based or IRC.
>>

>>This is the only site that continues to use mailing lists.
>>

>Uhm, quite the opposite.

I realize there are other mailings lists around. Perhaps you missed the
context of the comment. The sentence you quoted on was actually part of
the paragraph snippet you commented on above. It is the only site I use
for my research  that uses mailing lists.

Thanks for the feedback,
Gary