[ic] Rewriting URLs for SEO purposes - help!

Mike Heins mike at perusion.com
Mon Apr 11 08:52:26 EDT 2005

Quoting Cameron G (ritontor at icenet.com.au):
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm certain I'm not the first person in the history of IC to want to do
> this, and right now I'm pulling my hair out in frustration. Here's the deal.
>

> We've all seen /scan/ URLs in IC, right?
> http://www.store.com/scan/st=db/co=yes/sf=prod_group/se=product_to_find, or
> whatever it needs to be for your specific search. Well, that URL is all well
> and fine, and it works perfectly, but it's terrible for search engines.

Explain why this is terrible for search engines? As far as I know, they
work fine for that purpose.

WRT th ActionMap, there is a pretty suitable example in the standard
demo (from a nightly build or CVS) which does a prod_group/category
search. It would be easily adapted -- look for ncheck_category.

Also, if you put in interchange.cfg:

	AcceptRedirect  Yes

and in httpd.conf:

	<LocationMatch "/[^/]*.html?$">
	   ErrorDocument  404 /cgi-bin/store
	</LocationMatch>

that will route not-found documents to Interchange with a
path of /product_name.html. That can then be processed by
the ActionMap.

--
Mike Heins

Some people have twenty years of experience, some people have
one year of experience twenty times over. -- Anonymous