[ic] Discount Questions

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Apr 12 21:55:53 EDT 2005

Michael Hess [mhess at greenhillsschool.org] wrote:
> Is there some simple code that I can modify the basket component with that
> will give me a form field (text box) and when I type in a number, that
> number will be deducted from the total of the cart.
>
> For example:
> If I have 5 items that total $100 in my cart and I type in 20 and press
> re-calculate, Then that total will be updated to $80.  That can appear in
> a discount line under subtotal or something like that.
>
> Can this be done?  How much custom code is needed.  I know perl, but I
> have not yet learned IC.

That could be done very easily, but why would you want to do it at all?

If I had $100 worth of items in my cart and was free to set my own
discount, I'd be more likely to enter the full $100 than just $20.
In fact, I wouldn't have $100 worth of items in my basket at all - I'd
have $1,000,000.  Would I get free shipping with an order total as high
as that? :-)

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz