[ic] Performance hit from having many images in one directory?

John1 list_subscriber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 07:40:57 EDT 2005

At the moment we have all our item images in a single directory (and all the
thumbnails in one directory).  There are currently only about 1000 items,
but this could increase significantly as time goes on (especially as we tend
to leave any images of old discontinued products there just in case search
engines etc still have them catalogued).

We run the Linux ext3 filing system.  Is there a performance hit from
storing loads of files in a single directory?  I am sure I read somewhere
once that there *is* a performance hit, but I have no idea how many image
files we would need to store in one directory before the performance
implications became significant, bearing in mind that each page loads
between 10 and 20 images from the thumbnails directory and 1 image from the
main items directory?

Please can anyone enlighten me on this?  Thanks.