[ic] Performance hit from having many images in one directory?

Davor Ocelic docelic at mail.inet.hr
Tue Aug 23 13:04:23 EDT 2005

> >    1. Switch filesystems to XFS or ReiserFS for their tree-based
> >       scheme. They don't degrade like ext2.
> >
> I like this idea.  Are there any good reasons why I *shouldn't* switch to
> one of these filing systems?  If not, then I guess this has to be the way to
> go with any new partitions?

I use ext3 because of all the established tools that are available for it
(the stuff from e2fsprogs and e2tools packages, for example).

Also, I never had the need to try it myself, but I hear that ext3 filesystems
mount with larger set of default options than xfs or reiserfs do. Mounting
ext3 filesystems with options equal to default reiser or xfs supposedly
achieves excellent performance.

Cya,
-doc